Monday, December 4, 2006

I'm Not A Tree Hugger...

...but I do care about our environment. Within the past few months, pictures in my mind that I had almost forgotten about were brought back to me very vividly. I grew up in one of the most beautiful areas in Germany, the "Spessart/Odenwald" region which is the area between Wuerzburg and Frankfurt. Thick green forests, rolling hills and meadows with beautiful wildflowers. I have very fond memories and get homesick just thinking about it.

I loved taking a drive with friends on the small winding roads through the Spessart on Sunday afternoons, stopping at roadside cafes for a cup of coffee and a piece of cheese cake. Everything seemed to still be alright there, although signs of trees damaged by pollution were already emerging. It wasn't as plain to see though as along the stretches of autobahn between Frankfurt and Duesseldorf which I travelled more frequently visiting family. Dead trees were lining the side of the road. I remember watching a documentary about it on TV. Has it gotten any better? I don't think so, although I haven't been back to Germany in 13 years.

I live in Denver, Colorado now and pollution is a problem here as well. There are days when you can't see the mountains because of all the smog. It's sad! Time to wake up and start doing something about this instead of waiting for someone else to do something. One person can make a difference.

I'm planing on doing my part.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home